I opened the pantry to make breakfast this weekend and found three packages of bread with the heels only left in each one. THREE! Not being one to waste food, I whipped up a batch of homemade croutons to use on soups and salads for the rest of the weekend.
I like croutons but they are never really on my radar. I leave them off salads to save calories, and if I ever get little packages of croutons when I eat out they go straight to my purse to save for emergency kid snacks. Making these though is super fast and easy. Plus it is easy to make variations by mixing up the seasoning or cheeses.
This was a nice little treat to have around the house.
– Leftover slices of bread. I used the heels.
– Olive oil. The amount depends on how much bread you are have. Use just enough oil to lightly coat the cubes of bread.
– Salt or garlic salt
– Other seasonings can be added for variations, like Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence.
– Can also sprinkle shredded cheese(s) for variations. I used Parmesan.
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Cut the bread into cubes.
3. Toss the bread in olive oil, seasonings, and shredded cheese.
4. Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes tossing half way through.
6. When these cool eat for a snack or use to top soups and salads. Enjoy!