Here I am approaching my third trimester with baby #3. Friends and family have started to ask if we will be having a shower. I answer no because we still have everything we need from the first two. I tend to get responses like “surely there’s something you need”. I certainly appreciate the thoughtfulness, but if I were to be truthful, like really for real truthful, the stuff we need to get ready for sweet baby #3 is not stuff I can just add to a registry at Target.
If it were socially acceptable and logistically possible my dream registry for baby #3 would look something like this:
- Naps for me for before and after the baby is born.
- A date night with the husband so we can have some quiet time before the new born stage.
- All the prenatal massages. It’s for baby too, I promise.
- I’m not ready to get a new car with third row seating just yet. Narrower booster seats for the two big kids would help so the baby’s car seat can fit too.
- Maybe diapers, maybe not? I know diaper showers are a thing, and of course getting diapers is a BIG help. In the past though I have had a hard time exchanging diapers for different sizes.
- Help occasionally when the baby gets here. Help with the house or kids or meals. Just a little help sometimes.
- Offer to host my kids’ birthday parties, which are right before I will be giving birth. (Just kidding. I really don’t expect anyone to do this. This is a dream registry though, right?)
See, the things we need to get ready for our next baby aren’t necessarily baby items or even tangible things to be purchased and given at a shower. And that’s okay. It’s just why we won’t be having one this time around.
What about you? Did you have a shower of some sort for your third plus kid? If so, what did you do?